There might be another possibility of producing solar panels – from Cadmium
Cadmium Advantages in Solar Panels
Silikon based solar panels are facing price growth, so alternative photovoltaic technologies can step into the competition. There is Cadmium, which has several advantages over traditional silicon technology.
Those advantages are:
- The electricity comes from properties of two types of cadmium molecules, cadmium sulfide and cadmium telluride. This means a simple mixture of molecules achieves the required properties, simplifying manufacturing compared to the multi-step process of joining two different types of doped silicon in a silicon solar panel.
- Cadmium telluride absorbs sunlight at close to the ideal wavelength, capturing energy at shorter wavelengths than is possible with silicon panels
- Cadmium is abundant, produced as a by-product of other important industrial metals such as zinc.
Well, there are the disadvantages as well:
- Cadmium telluride solar panels currently achieve an efficiency of 10.6%
- Environmental issues of Cadmium….